You can find more details on Virginia code website.
Title 54.1 - Professions and occupations
Records to be kept; copy furnished to local authorities
Officers may examine records or property; warrantless search and seizure authorized
Credentials and statement of ownership required from seller
Dealer to retain purchases
Record of disposition
Bond or letter of credit required of dealers when permit obtained
Private action on bond or letter of credit
Permit required; method of obtaining permit; no convictions of certain crimes; approval of weighin
Exemptions from chapter
Penalties; first and subsequent offenses
Records to be kept; copy furnished to local authorities.
Every dealer shall keep at his place of business an accurate and legible record of each purchase of precious metals or gems. The record of each purchase shall be retained by the dealer for at least twenty-four months and shall set forth the following:
- A complete description of all precious metals or gems purchased from each seller. The description shall include all names, initials, serial numbers or other identifying marks or monograms on each item purchased, the true weight or carat of any gem, and the price paid for each item;
- The date, time and place of receiving the items purchased;
- The full name, residence address, work place, home and work telephone numbers, date of birth, sex, race, height, weight, hair and eye color, and other identifying marks;
- Verification of the identification by the exhibition of a government-issued identification card such as a driver's license or military identification card. The record shall contain the type of identification exhibited, the issuing agency, and the number thereon; and
- A statement of ownership from the seller.
The information required by subdivisions 1 through 3 of subsection A of this section shall appear on each bill of sale for all precious metals and gems purchased by a dealer, and a copy shall be mailed or delivered within twenty-four hours of the time of purchase to the chief law-enforcement officer of the locality in which the purchase was made.
(1981, c. 581, § 54-859.16; 1986, c. 316; 1988, c. 765; 1990, c. 783; 1991, c. 174.)