GIA Certified Cushion Cut Diamonds
The GIA give reliable and accurate grades on color, clarity, polish and symmetry for cushion cut diamonds. The GIA do not issue cut grades on fancy cut diamonds, as there is no agreed standard for how these diamonds should look. There are a variety of combinations which can be equally beautiful, making it impossible to standardize the cut grades.
However, the appearance of a cushion cut can be divided into 5 categories:
• Square cushion cut (best ratio 1:00-1:03)
• Rectangle cushion cut (best ratio 1:15-1:20)
• Cushion brilliant cuts (a facet pattern similar to a round brilliant)
• Modified cushion cuts/crushed iced cushion cuts (an extra row of facets beneath the girdle creates a crushed ice/crushed glass appearance)
• Chunky brilliant cushion cuts (display defined facet patterns and are typically considered ‘antique’ looking.)
With other cuts, you can often make an assessment on how the diamond will look based on the certification. Cushion cuts are best viewed in person with the guidance of a professional. They can look dramatically different depending on the modification as well as the traditional quality factors. Fortunately, our team are always on hand to help.